venerdì 21 settembre 2007

Everyone's an expert...


It's Friday afternoon in the office, and everyone is in full brain-storming mode. Ideas are thrown around, methods discussed and timescales defined. The conclusion? Giant prawns gently fried in white wine and lemon juice. Yes folks, the comunal brainstorm was the result of my simple request for ideas as to what to cook for dinner.
Italians are well known for being serious foodies, yet it never fails to amaze me just how damn expert they all are when it comes to cooking, regardless of age, gender or background. One of the major contributors to the discussion is the type of young guy you see hanging out in the coolest clubs on a Saturday night, D&G sunglasses surgically attached to his head, Negroni in hand - yet you wouldn't believe the way his eyes lit up as he described the perfect way to get the best flavour out of your scampi. "Oh, and don't forget the fresh parsley!!"Damn experts they might be, but what would we do without them?!

2 commenti:

Kataroma ha detto...

That is funny. I really noticed that when I first started working in an Italian office - whereas in other countries small talk might consist of the weather or TV shows - here it's "what did you have for breakfast?" And when I went on holiday to Sicily everyone asked me "what did you eat?" rather than "how was it?" when I got back.

Emmina ha detto...

It's true - get them onto the subject of food and they'll talk forever! I've put on 5 kilos since I arrived here 5 years ago, yet I eat much less "rubbish" than I used to.... it's a mystery!!